Burgos, cradle of Castilian
Burgos was founded in 884 by Count Diego Porcelos, under thereign of Alfonso III, few years later Burgos became the head of the Kingdom of Castile. The archaeological site of Atapuerca, origin of the firs Europeans, is 20 km far from Burgos, and Burgos is also one of the main landmarks on St. James Way.
The North of Spain, to be more precise Burgos, is the cradle of Castilian and the origin of Spanish, language spoken by more than 440 million people all around the world, official language in 18 countries and the second most studied language, after English.
The University of Burgos offers you the opportunity to improve your Spanish, within a unique historic and cultural frame, where Spanish was born.
Burgos, origin and destination
The city of Burgos is origin and destination. Burgos is unique, different, surprising, and endless. It is full of life at any time of the year. Burgos is the city of a thousand and one surprises, with dozens of hidden corners to fall in love with and to win somebody’s heart. A place, without any doubt, to gather and feel at home. Discover it!
• Atapuerca archaeological sites, first Europeans
• Human Evolution Museum
• Burgos, origin of the language. Valpuesta and Silos
• Burgos in the Camino de Santiago. Pilgrims
• 800 years of history, Burgos Cathedral 1221 - 2021
• Land of writers and heroes. El Cid
• Unique gastronomy and land of wines
• Nature, castles, parks ...